Sunday, June 29, 2008

Setting Your Mind Away from the World (Part 2)

My last post I shared about how I have been wrestling with Mark 8:33 "...For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." Then I began to read Colossians 3:1-17. In the epistle to the Colossians, Paul seems to be writing to a church, which is wrestling with their identity in Christ versus tradition and false philosophy, especially tradition derived from the Old Testament.

Paul then exhorts them to focus on the right things. Colossians 3:1-4, tells me that as a believer a radical change has occurred. I have died in Christ, my life is hidden in Christ, and when he returns in glory I will also appear with him in glory. Nestled in these truths is the command, "Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." Paul doesn't leave the reader hanging here with such a command. He commences to tell us what are earthly things in verses 5-10 and that these things must be put to death and put away, because God has given us a new life or new identity in Christ. Having then new life/identity, verses 11-17 describes how as a person of God I am to live my life amongst others, especially other believers.

I find it very interesting that the context of setting my mind of things above is set in a community. I am not to do it alone nor is it to be an effort for self edification only. Rather its to be with other brothers and sisters, where I am to live in Christ-likeness and accept and also give correction and redirection through Christ's word. Even more as I set my mind on the things above, what it looks like is, "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Lord, your word is challenging, sometimes it seems impossible, but your promise is that you are near, and that you will never leave me nor forsake me. So please Lord help me set my mind on you, killing all that is sinful in my life and living as I ought to live giving you all honor, thanks, and glory. You are so much better than the world's best. Help me to see this always and to live this always as part member of a body living for you.

1 comment:

Sung said...

You mentioned the need for community and relationship. One is reminded in Genesis 1:26-27

"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...

So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them."

God when He created man, said "Let us" implying a plurality (possibly even a trinity). When we are created in His image, we are created to be with others.

Something to add: in community, we live out our faith everyday: from work, to church, to our family. When we approach life as if living in tradition/dead works (your mention of Mark), life and faith becomes stagnant. However, when we live out our faith eagerly living in the new covenant and anticipating God, ordinary life does not become ordinary.

One text that has truly emphasized this is the "Song of Solomon". Definitely, give it a read.

God's love is indeed sweeter than wine (those things which we try to numb our need for community/meaning/significance with).