Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Worship I Want to Experience

Last night, I read a blog entry from Worship Matters, where Bob Kauflin shared an excerpt of a interview he had with Tim Smith asking him questions on worship. I was struck by the content of the interview. Bob Kauflin shared this:

"I said that if worship leaders simply lead people into a desire to repeat what we just did, or the 'worship experience,' we haven’t done what we’re called to do. I make the point that for worship leaders in the church, our job isn’t to lead a worship experience, but to build a worshiping community."

This a convicting statement for me as a person sitting in the pew. If this is the goal of every worship leader to help encourage us to lead a life of worship, not just feeding off an experience, I can't help but be praying for these guys! Its not just about good music or the right song selection, but its about edifying me and the rest of in the pew to live life worshiping God, not just on Sunday, but everyday, even until our Lord returns and then after!

I can't help but be led to the the passage in Romans 12:1-8, where the Apostle Paul writes to church in Rome about worship. Worship is our response to God's mercy, where we live our lives as holy and living sacrifices to God. This looks like, at least in the context, us serving one another with the gifts God has given. This seems to be where Bob Kauflin's worship paradigm is founded, according to the movement of the interview.

May the Lord provide me the eyes to see, the ears to hear, the heart to understand what it means to worship Him. May he bless all the brothers and sisters out there using their gifts to lead the body of Christ into a worshipful lifestyle, not just an experience. May Christ get all the glory.

No comments: