Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Grace of God by A.W. Pink

Chapter 13 of A.W. Pink's The Attributes of God end with the following words:

"God the Father is the Fountain of all grace, for He purposed in Himself the everlasting covenant of redemption. God the Son is the only Channel of grace. The Gospel is the Publisher of grace. The Spirit is the Bestower. He is the One who applies the Gospel in saving power to the soul: quickening the elect while spiritually dead, conquering their rebellious wills, melting their hard hearts, opening their blind eyes, cleansing them from the leprosy of sin. Thus we may say with the late G. S. Bishop, Grace is a provision for men who are so fallen that they cannot lift the axe of justice, so corrupt that they cannot change their own natures, so averse to God that they cannot turn to Him, so blind that they cannot see Him, so deaf that they cannot hear Him, and so dead that He Himself must open their graves and lift them into resurrection."

Pondering and taking in the closing words of the chapter. I see a beautifully vivid picture of God's work of salvation. I also see a most ugly and despicable nature of man, myself included, before being regenerated by the Holy Spirit's power. This passage helps me to see how hopelessly situated I was as an already dead enemy of God. It leaves me no room but to fall on my knees and worship. I can not do nor boast of anything in myself as Ephesians 2:8-10 states. But may I boast in only one thing; the cross (Galatians 6:14).

No comments: