Monday, June 16, 2008

Abba! God the Father

Last night, I was up till 12:30 spending time with two brothers in Christ. We shared. We prayed. We fellowshipped. It was a refreshing feeling, where we felt God's presence and love and where I faithfully believe the Lord loosed spiritual bonds that were hindering us from experiencing the relationship Christ promises.

By the end, one of the brothers began encouraging us to experience God the Father as 'Abba' Father, not just that far away 'Dear God' type of prayer life that I know I have gotten used to. Oddly, out everything spoken the whole night, this encouragement/exhortation was the hardest to accept. Perhaps, it because its the most important and critical aspect of my walk that must be rearranged or perhaps just the feeling that I know right now, 'I'm not there yet'. However, I want that relationship.

So, pondering this, the Holy Spirit brought to mind a couple of verses. Romans 8:12-18, tells us of the assurance of the Holy Spirit's change in our being, witnessing to us that we are God's children, being able to call to God the Father as 'Abba' or 'Daddy'. This for me is very challenging. Though I know that this is true, I must confess I need to experience this tremendously more.

Another verse is Luke 11:1-13, where Jesus describes how to pray and the attitude we must have when we prayer; primarily of perseverance, of faith in the Father's character, and of knowing He will provide that which is best and not something fake or dangerous. Even more awesome is that Christ tells us God's desire and intention is to give us the Holy Spirit, if we indeed dare to ask for such a wonderful thing.

Abba, I am poor and weak, but you have called me to yourself through Jesus Christ. Abba, please give me the Holy Spirit to empower me to be your child, to do what your child does, and most importantly to help your child experience you as Your will desires. Please bless your children.

No comments: