Thursday, June 5, 2008

Healing Regret

Today we learned about regret in our 3rd of six sessions learning about 'Soul Care', a introduction to counseling at OCM Church in Chinatown, NYC, taught by Professor Freddy Baez. I learned a very helpful acronym today to help guide me when I need to admonish, exhort, or encourage someone struggling with regret. The acronym is S.E.R.V.E, standing for 'S' for 'Surrender to God', Matthew 16:24-27; 'E' for 'Enquire/Entreat of God', Psalm 55:1-3,16-17; R for 'Relationship with God and His People', 1 John 2:8-13; 'V' for 'Vulnerability with God and His People or Humbleness', Proverb 16:18, 1 Peter 5:5-7; and 'E' for' Empowerment from God to others', John 21:17.

So far every Thursday, I have been edified more than expected. Professor/Pastor Baez shared that he expected to not only teach us the material, but that the material would also heal us and change us. Today's lesson helped identify and show me some hard facts. As we looked through the scripture I was struck by how the Word of God acts as a mirror to reflect my shortcomings and my sin, but also my only hope. It brought to mine my sin of pride, my sin of self reliance, my sin of anger, and my sin of not caring for my wife as God has called me to.

When I returned home, I reread the passages above. The passage that seem to jump out at me was the verse from John 21. I began reading John 21:15-19. In the passage, we read about the resurrected Jesus interacting with Peter. Just several days ago Peter denies Jesus, his Discipler, his Lord, his God, his friend, not once, but three times. Peter is recorded as weeping bitterly obviously from guilt, sadness, regret. But now, we see Jesus counseling Peter, restoring Peter. Jesus in turn asks Peter 3 times whether Peter loves him. And each time Jesus responds to Peter's professing of love for Jesus with a command to feed/tend to Jesus' sheep. As we read on through the passage, Christ also reveals to Peter the hard road ahead even as an elderly man. And exhorts Peter to 'Follow Me'.

I can't help but think about God's grace and mercy. I have sinned, I am sinning, and I will sin, but as I seek to truly love Jesus, Jesus will forgive us, heal us, change us and empower us. He doesn't promise us an easy life though, but a life worth following Jesus.

Lord, may you continue to mold me as I stick close to your Son. By your Spirit, show me through your word the sin I have committed against you and restore me through the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

No comments: