Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Holy Appointment with a Train called Grace and Mercy

Do you have a needy people in your spiritual community? One who you dread receiving a phone call from, because you know an inconvenient request will be made by them? Yesterday night, I was presented with an opportunity to serve a elderly believer at church. It would take several hours of my time, so that the person may serve and show love to their own family living a distance away.

I admit I do not have a servant heart. I do WHAT I want to do, not what others may need. I honestly was real annoyed, but as the night winded down, I reluctantly began to give in to the request and made a decision to give the elderly person a call to let them know I was willing to honor their request.

God taught me something huge. When I called this morning, the person said that the favor wasn't needed anymore and that they had to get off the phone, because they were watching a sermon on TV about 'grace and mercy'. Those words 'grace and mercy' echoed in my ears, then into my mind, and then into my heart. It felt like an oncoming train just hit me even though I had seen it coming miles away. To add salt to my wounds the elderly person had a gift for me when I reached church that morning! OUCH!

God taught me something about my attitude and motivations. As I wrote in my last blog, as a believer I am saved by grace through faith, that I may not boast but live a life of humility knowing how awesome it is to be saved and how blessed it is that God served me first before I even had existence on this earth. But not just that, my own life has been changed by Jesus such that it should be identified not just as being saved, but identified also with good works.

I thank God for His mercy to help me see my sin of hypocrisy, my sin of disloyalty, and my sin of pride. May God through His Holy Spirit help me to live not as I want, but as He wants, motivated by His 'grace and mercy'.

No comments: