Wednesday, June 11, 2008

When Feelings Try to Rule

Today I have been feeling distance from the presence of God. Perhaps its some unresolved sin in my life. I am in the process of evaluating. Things do feel a bit different than before. When I felt this distance from God, there was always this feeling of inadequacy, which would lead me to various addictive vices to try and fill the emptiness. Now, as I try to focus on the cross rather than my feelings, I have found myself running to God's Word, realizing his presence may not be felt, but His Word is a constant reminder of His presence and desire to speak with me.

Today, my men's group went over the 2nd part of the Gospel of John. I couldn't help being encouraged by Christ's promise to give us joy, to give us peace, to allow us to pray, and to give us a relationship with God the Father. We also read Psalm 139 in our weekly church prayer meeting, which helped me see the amazing truth of God's knowledge. Then at the close of the meeting, I felt God lead me to dwell on Psalm 23.

May God help me to persevere and to lean on truth more than feelings. May pour into my heart his peace, love, mercy, kindness, patience, and joy than come from His Holy Spirit.

No comments: