Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Setting Your Mind Away from the World (Part 1)

In Mark 8: 31-34, we read about Jesus revealing His true mission to sacrifice himself and to defeat death by rising from the dead. What I found interesting was the response from Peter. The scripture said he, Peter, "took Him (Jesus) aside and rebuked him". Peter rebuked God! This is absolutely crazy especially since just verses before Peter confessed to Jesus, "You are the Christ."

Thinking about this interaction with Jesus and Peter, I made two observations. First, I believe Peter didn't understand yet who Jesus truly was and what it meant that Jesus is the Christ. On the other hand, the fact that Peter took Jesus aside and rebuked him at least in some way expresses a close relationship with Jesus, especially since it seemed to be out of concern or surprise for his teacher, discipler, rabbi, and friend.

Now the response from Jesus comes strong and hard, "Get behind me, Satan!" Christ rebukes in a way that leaves no room for Peter and his intentions but to accept his place as being wrong and perhaps even demonic if you want to be literal.

Added and what really stuck with me for the past days is the following sentence from Christ, "For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." These verses spoke to me in a way that I can only describe as the Holy Spirit grabbing my attention and gently lifting my chin up to see something more important that what I try to perceive on my own.

Another reason why this verse brought great impact was because the night before I read the passage from Colossians 3:1-17, which I will share about in my next blog entry.

Lord, I thank you for your Word that points us to something more important. Lord, please protect me from any idolatry, focusing my mind and heart on the only God that should be worshiped. Please help me come to you humbly, knowing your plan is good and nothing can be better than your will. May I not dare rebuke you or advice you in any way, but Lord give me eyes to see, a mind to ponder, and a heart to understand the magnificent riches you have given to me by grace through Your Son Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Sung said...

Something to add...
Jesus throughout his ministry tells his disciples about his mission. In the gospel of Mark, we also see that his own family did not understand his mission. Mary, the one who would sing the Magnificat, did not quite know. Even John the Baptist would later doubt.

What we see could possibly be how human tradition and misinterpretation prevented Israel to see. Truly, the work of the Holy Spirit needed to come through to illuminate Christ's followers. Now, this is humbling to us in how we read the Bible. We do not fit the Bible to our own whims but we must fit ourselves to it for our Word is living and not dead.