Sunday, July 6, 2008

Asking a Hard Question...

Recently I have been encouraged by the writing and preaching of C.J. Mahaney. Listening to him and reading several of his books, I can't miss coming to the cross and finding my only hope and joy there on that day when the Son of God shed his blood for me. The Gospel is never far from his teaching, which has helped me see my life and my struggles in new ways.

A couple days ago, I read an article from 9Marks, titled The Gospel & Deliberate Complementarian Pastors. The article helped me understand that believing in the right faith also meant applying the the right actions, particular in the role of man and women, a husband and wife. The challenge Mahaney poses to the husband is to apply humility in his life by doing something very simple, but also very hard, asking his wife, 'Where do I need to grow in serving and leading you?'

The other day, while I was driving through the city with my wife, I asked her the question above. It was not as bad as expected. She shared her concerns about the way I use my time. She desired that I would evaluate and manage my time with regard to ministry, family, and fellowship.

Since then I have realized how difficult it is to encounter this issue in life. I have been praying that the Lord would 'teach me to number my days' (Psalm 90) and in doing so show me His priorities in my life. I have slowed down in blogging to devote more time with the Lord to evaluate my life. Lord willing, He will reveal other things too.

Lord, I am but dust compared to your greatness, but you have showed mercy and love to your creation and have called me your own through the shed blood of Christ. Please give me true wisdom and true knowledge that will direct me more and more deeply into Your Gospel.

No comments: