Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What Type of Leader are You?

A notion that was briefly touched upon at the NYC Dwell Conference was the idea of King, Priest, and Prophet. Mark Driscoll very briefly brought this up in the church planting context. The idea was to help a planter understand his own motivations/strengths better. Here is a broadcast from another conference where Pastor Mark describes these three critical roles in a church and its significance in a multi-site church. (BTW, towards the end he communicates his definition for church, which I must say is extremely thorough while very understandable).

This has really helped me understand more the conflicts I have experienced just being around some close brothers in Christ. Its help me understand that each one of us have certain tendencies when introduced to different situations and has allowed me to encourage and also accept my brothers for being who God made them to be.

Another interesting read is The Triple Cure: Jesus Christ - Our Prophet, Priest and King by Kim Riddlebarger, who briefly runs through Calvin's notion of Jesus fulfilling these 3 offices and the effect it has on us.

So what am I? I love thinking and trying to build structures and work flows that would help the church do the Great Commission. I highly value evangelism and discipleship, which I feel are two sides of the same coin where the coin as a whole is the Gospel. However, I am still trying to figure out how to do it. Anybody doing it? Please comment and post any resources and suggestions.

No comments: