Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Better Hope

I read today's entry from Of First Importance, quoting from John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, 3.3.2 . As I see it, Calvin realized something very subtle, but very critical. For me to take repentance seriously, I must truly believe that I belong to God, meaning I have a true relationship with him as father and child, master and servant, husband and wife, shepherd and sheep, tree and its branches. That's something to really think about. Many times, I live out my life repenting of my sin in order to belong to God.

In bible study we read through Hebrews 7. The verses that hit home were verses 18-19. I have a better hope now that brings me near to God. This hope is Jesus Christ, who not only brings me near, but brings me into a relationship that makes me belong to God.

Its kind of crazy, God wants me to be his, not because I have it all right, but because he truly does love me. But at that same time, that love ought not leave me the same, but should change me. I have nothing to give, while God gave His Son as a huge testimony of His love for me. Very cool! How can I stay afar? Lord, help me run to you without tire!

No comments: