Thursday, May 15, 2008

Confessing My Sin

Have you ever gotten on your face down on the floor to confess your sins before God? I can't help but read Psalm 51, and see King David, after grievously sinning, prostrated, crying, and begging for forgiveness and restoration.

As I continue to return over and over again to this psalm to confess my own grievous sins before God, I always notice something new, whether it be a truer conviction, an encouragement, a truth unnoticed, or a corrected faith. I love coming to Psalm 51, not because I become a better person reading it, but that through the Holy Spirit, I come know God more in His might, mercy, and holiness.

Allow me to share how God revealed Psalm 51 to me the other morning.

Verse 1-5: I come to God knowing that my God is a God of mercy and love, and He alone is capable of cleansing my sin which has contaminated me, which no astringent or soap can suffice. If I haven't recognized it, I recognize it now in God's presence how sinful I am. I have chosen to do, say, and or think those things which express hatred towards God, and by nature I am a hater of God.

Verse 6-10: But a beam of hope shines in. God tells me he looks at my heart and there is where he will change me. Lord have mercy on me for my heart is 'deceitful above all things, and desperately sick'. Only you can cleanse me. Only you can give me comfort and joy from what I have caused myself. May your mercy and love come before your justice. Lord I beg you, please do not just cleanse me but create in me a heart that knows no sin.

Verse 11-13: Please do not leave me. Your presence is my only desire. Let your Holy Spirit continue to teach me who I am and who You are; continue to open my eyes to Your Cross and Your Salvation, giving me hope and joy, showing me how I, a sinner, have need of you. Continue you to show me how good your Gospel is and I will share this Gospel to others, so they may experience your holiness and mercy.

Verse 14-15: I praise you my Lord for you have shed your blood for the blood I have shed. you have done what I do not deserve. Your grace has changed me. It has shown me how incredible your love is for me and I will praise you over and over again!

Verse 16-19: Lord, let me not forget that it is you who saves me. For whatever actions I perform before men and before you, can not satisfy the guilt of my sin. You do not accept mere actions, but you look into my heart and desire humbleness, knowing how messed up I am with no other hope but You and what you have done at that Cross. Then and only then, by the Cross, when you are my only hope and joy, my only peace and portion, my only goal and delight will my actions be pleasing to you.

My heart aches, knowing how awesome God is and knowing what he requires. He simply wants us to need Him. He has provided the Cross as the way for our sins to be forgiven. No actions to prove anything, just run to him and allow his grace to reach the most inner parts and be SAVED! May I preach this to myself everyday.

No comments: